Saturday, January 12, 2008

Update from the potty

I don't know where to start. My mind has been racing because of everything I feel I need to do before the newest arrival and letting go of how things are right at this moment. I hate to say it but I will miss my one-on-one time with Ryleigh. She's my sweet pea, my first, my heart, my focus for the past 2 years. Please don't get me wrong, I am really starting to get excited for Sharp #2 but it will be such a jolt of change when he/she arrives that it will be hard not to miss the 2 years I spent with just Ryleigh.

Now onto updates:

POTTY TRAINING:
For the past 2 weeks we've been using the pull-ups. Ryleigh has had some success (usually she pees in the potty once, sometimes twice a day). Originally I purchased pull-ups that just changed color on the outside (flowers faded) and realized that Ry wasn't really getting it. So I purchased the kind that get cold when wet... really not cutting it. So finally I put her in training pants. The cotton ones and I put the plastic pants over. I really felt Ry needed to feel an accident or she wouldn't 'get it'. Well she got it. An hour into wearing them (and having just been on the potty 3 minutes before) she comes up to me and tells me she pooped! As much as I wasn't looking forward to the clean up I realized she was making progress. She actually told me when she did something in her pants. FINALLY!!! We had 3 accidents this morning and I put her down for a nap in pull-up. She stayed in pull-ups the rest of the day (we had errands to run). She peed 3 times in her potty today. I must admit I am pretty proud of her. I've been using stickers as incentive. She hasn't quite got the idea of an incentive (if I do it I get this...) but I figure she needs to be rewarded just the same.

MY LIST:

  • Buy furniture for Ryleigh's big girl room - DONE
  • Buy mattress for Ryleigh's big girl room
  • Paint Ryleigh's big girl room
  • Go through tub of 0-3 month clothes in basement - DONE
  • Go through 2 tubs of baby stuff and clean/pull what I need - DONE
  • Get Ryleigh potty trained (okay this is more of a wish/dream but its on the list) - WORKING
  • Do my pre-registration for the hospital (should have been done 6 weeks ago) - DONE
  • Make and freeze meals for March (not starting this till Feb 1 but need to plan what I will make)
  • Purchase items that I feel I need the 2nd time around... double stroller, sling, etc
  • Purchase a packet of thank you notes (b/c I assume I will either get gifts/meals from folks and need to thank them without hunting for cards in Hallmark just days after giving birth)
  • Donut... need to be sure I still have inflatable donut and if not - buy one since my hospital is anti-donut and would rather see me suffer for 2 days b/c their more worried about my hemorrhoids than they are my tootiefala (that is what my grandmother called it)! - DONE
  • Buy Ryleigh's "I am a big sister t-shirt" and wrap and have with hospital bag so she has a gift to open when she comes to visit at the hospital
  • Buy Ryleigh a banner for Glenn to hang above her new room when the baby arrives (I am big sister)
  • Junk food bag... b/c my hospital serves what only can be described as icky food!
    Oh and must not forget to do all the other stuff that I normally do....

For your viewing pleasure, a few shots of the queen playing office, eating ice-cream, playing with daddy (while wearing winter boots of course), watching Elmo from her chair, cleaning her table after lunch, and lastly playing (with a new cold to boot).




5 comments:

Meredith said...

Wow, great job Ryleigh! I think you really have done a ton already for baby #2. Maybe you are nesting already? :) And everything will be fine when the baby comes but I have the same exact fears over having another kid...I'll miss my fun alone time with Brendan! Just remember anytime you want to drop the baby off here to have a "special time" with Ryleigh you are more than welcome!

Jessica said...

I had the same fears with having Dylan...
My mom still makes sure to make fun of me for my tearful "Will I be able to love another baby as much as I love Elizabeth???"
She's nice.

And just because I'm nosy...what sort of sling are you looking to get? I myself am researching slings at the moment and I think I'm going to try to make myself a no-sew Moby style wrap, and maybe a pouch sling too, but the pouch is a sewing project.

Fun fun fun!

Amanda said...

Faye- you have been very blog busy! Music, slideshow, what next? :) I did really worry about those same things while expecting Abe, but your heart will just expand for more room to love. Ry will be very special always beause she was the first- This time IS precious.. But you will be amazed to see her in her big sis role- it is very special. for you and her. Parker is so special, but Abe is too, for different reasons. Your fears are valid- very, but it will all work out beautifully in a different way- I can't wait for you to see how!!! :)
hotslings rule! btw

Maribeth said...

M - I will be taking you up on your offer to watch baby. I may need your help so Ry and I can do a class once week at the rec ctr and if ma corby can't come over to assist! (And if you need a baby fix I will gladly drop off the bundle to you).

J - it's hotslings.com. My friend, Amanda, has one and she swears by them. She already has 3 so she is an expert in the field of baby gear.

To all - I know my nerves are getting the best of me and I am so glad that those of you with multiples were able to validate how I am feeling. It isn't that I am not excited... I will just miss this time (just as I miss my time before kids... can any of us even imagine). I wouldn't want to go back and do that time... but there are times when it is nice to imagine being free of the children strings.
The nesting has kicked in. Writing the list helped me and has helped me feel a bit better about getting things done.

Jessica said...

Oh yeah, hotslings are all the rage!
I made a pouch sling that was LIKE a hotsling minus the padding. They're not hard to do yourself...it's a lot more cutting than sewing!
I did end up going out and getting crinkle cotton to make my own Moby wraps.
Now I have four of those!
Just need a baby to test them....