Tuesday, January 1, 2008

The start of 08

Today has been an interesting one. I've decided to give a shot at potty training Ry! What a tall order at just over 2 but Ry has shown signs that she is physically capable...mainly waking up dry in the morning and after naps.
We've had the potty since mid-September and she dragged it all over the house for a couple of months. She filled it with toilet paper (has a removable cup that she would pick up and throw tp in). And basically saw it as a toy. The past 2 months she's essentially ignored it except for the occasional tp fill up. Last night I took the potty and cleaned out all the tp (about a rolls worth) and took it up to my bathroom. I figure when I heard her in the morning I would scoop her up and put her on the potty and we would go together (isn't that a lovely picture to imagine). Well it worked... she peed in her potty. I was so excited for her and it gave me the incentive to stay in today to be her constant reminder.
The rest of the day didn't fair as well. She sat on the potty a lot but nothing happened. After spending the whole day home I decided we needed to just get out after dinner so we went to Barnes and Noble and did some book shopping. When we got back it was time for bath so we dragged the potty to her bathroom and I got the bath ready while she sat on the potty... AND SHE DID IT AGAIN!!! I was so excited for her. It gave me more incentive to keep at it even though I question if this is really working or not. So tomorrow we will probably spend at home again. I have a play date scheduled so at least I will see an adult...
Would love to hear about how others potty trained and what worked for them so leave your comments!

5 comments:

Tam-e said...

All I can say Maribeth is that each child is different. I can't say boys are easier than girls or the other way around. Although my boys were easier. The key to potty training I believe, is consistency. You have to keep up on it. It is a long process too! Taylor just turned 3 and she is just potty trained. I feel like I have spent 1/2 the year getting her there. Although some don't recommend bribery, I have found that to work. Candy may not be what you would want to use but this is what I chose after the sticker chart was not working. I had made a little chart and when she would go potty I would let her put a sticker on it. She wasn't to interested in this. So I chose to buy m&m's and give her 2 pieces when she would go. Plus I bought her new panties! That is a good idea too! Makes them feel like they are a Big Girl! Hope this helps!

Alisa said...

MB,
I wish we could share some tips but we haven't started yet. We are about to so I'll let you know. I'm going to be sooo ready to get out of diapers let me tell you! We have the Elmo potty DVD and we are going to get a book too. My kids are very motivated by books and such so hopefully they'll get the concept! Keep me posted on your progress. Your life would be easier if Ry was potty trained when the babe came but I guess she'll do it in her own time. Maybe she'll realize diapers are for babies so to speak and big sisters use the potty?! Man, using pyschology on a two year old... what do I know?!

Yes, Ad got a truck so he had an extra special Christmas. The Jimmy is ten years old and ready to be retired!

Have a great weekend!
Alisa

Amanda said...

I am all for the m&m's too. We have a graduation ceremony with dip;oma, when they are all trained- this is when you get rid of the goodies. When they ask for goodies, you tell them they have graduated!! It really works! Also. instead of asking if they need to go potty- ask her if she is dry.. That is the goal afterall. Set your timer for 5 minutes- " Are you dry? " hooray you are!! Here's a treat! - make it good.. :) continue and keep adding time- this REALLY works and will take two days at home.. of course Abe still thinks that there is goodie coming when he hears a timer.. :)Tabitha was right when she said if they are ready, it is not hard. It is only hard when they aren't ready.. Parker was completely trained before Abe was born, and she totally reverted for awhile.. You can do this!! :)

Maribeth said...

Girls, thanks for all the advice. Ryleigh is into it but we've only had 4 pees on the potty. I am going to get a goodie box put together for her to pick out a treat when she actually goes on the potty. She's excited about the whole process but she is still trying to figure it all out in some ways. I am trying to be patient...so hard for me since I seem to lack a lot of that with this pregnancy.

Anonymous said...

I completely agree with the m&m's. We bought Ashley special big girl panties and made a big deal out of it so that she wouldn't want to have an accident in them. We put the potty in the kitchen for a while so that if she thought she needed to go she could just run over and sit. So for a while all she did was sit on the potty!!! We started training her around 2 years old, but she didn't really go 100% in the potty until she was 3. It takes time and understanding, but she'll get it when she's ready. Just be consistent and keep encouraging it. (I can't tell you how scary it was the first few times we took her out with only her big girl panties on!!!)