Sunday, January 13, 2008

Panic

Okay, reading the last few posts my stress is really starting to show. I first want to say, thank you to my friends (new and old) for words of advice & wisdom. I am feeling pretty good till...

Alright I need to set this up a little better. Ryleigh and I went over to my folks today. If the husband is out of town during a weekend I will usually go over and spend the day there. It allows me to relax a bit plus Ryleigh LOVES my parents. She is my mom's shadow whenever my mom is around. When she was little and couldn't say Grandma she called her mama too. She thinks my dad is lots of fun. He swings her around and they share snacks. Anyway, on with my story.

So we arrive before lunch and we follow the same routine there as we do at my home. Play after lunch till nap. I take her upstairs and get her all snug in the crib, close the blinds and say night. She tells me thank you as I close the door (this is a recent thing and I can't figure out the why... I just always say you're welcome). My mom and I have a nice long chat while she eats lunch and we just sat in the kitchen below the room she was napping in for about an hour and half... then I hear a thump. I immediately break into a run (I don't even think my mom registered what happened). I tear up the stairs at a clip no pregnant women should dare try. The whole time I hear SILENCE. I am completely freaked. I open the door to the room and Ryleigh is standing there hyperventilating. Shear panic is running through my veins. Is she hurt? How bad? What? What if she broke her neck? I am holding her while I am trying to process that she climbed out of the crib and trying to check her. My mom soon followed and Ryleigh had to leap into her arms for some additional comfort. Then she came back to me and then she wanted a group hug. She was SO UPSET and scared. I took her downstairs to sit her on the couch (and better examine). My mom slid in Elmo on the DVD while I worked on talking to her and getting her to calm down. After about 10 minutes (from thump) I realized she was okay. Thank goodness.

I cannot say the same for me though. The rush of adrenaline caused baby Sharp #2 to kick the crap out of me for the next several hours. I felt horrible and my nerves were shot. Any misstep Ryleigh took I was on her like a hawk to get her to stop. I was a complete bundle of nerves.

We're home now. Ryleigh is fine, asleep in her crib and I sit in silence waiting to hear her make her next big leap! Yikes!!!!

3 comments:

Jessica said...

Uh oh! Time for a big girl bed!!

I'm DREADING Dylan's discovery that he can climb out of his crib. With Elizabeth, she was in her big girl bed before Dylan was born (out of necessity) and she wasn't even 2 yet. I'm gonna hold off as long as possible with the D-man though...he truly is a D-man demon.

Meredith said...

Poor Ryleigh! I also am dreading that day when Brendan figures he can climb out. I love the crib - he is trapped there! Is the crib at your Mom's lower? I don't know if she could climb out of yours yet. Let us know how she is - and lucky for you the big girl stuff is ordered!

Maribeth said...

My mom's crib is a standard crib so it isn't as close to the ground (the sides are higher and the one side slides down). I think the distance from the mattress to the side rail is close to the same... maybe a little lower at moms. It was horrible. I finally am getting over it today but I am staying on the 2nd floor trying to clean up here so I can hear her better.