Thursday, January 24, 2008

Seeing Spots

Ryleigh sitting in her newly painted big girl room. We must visit it everyday!

Why oh why can't pink eye be simpler in my household??? Monday afternoon Ry awoke from her nap and I was alarmed because she had these patches of red with bumps (looked like bug bites) in them. I called and spoke to the nurse and was told it was probably viral, just the bug running it's course after the pink eye episode. Okay, I thought. I was told to call back only if they were on her face because then it could be a more serious problem.

Now don't get me wrong, I understand the whole gatekeeper role the nurses play but I don't call them weekly or even monthly. I call when there is a problem or I have the gut feeling something isn't quite right. But hey, it's just a rash and they're telling me no biggie. So we gave her Benadryl like we were told and they disappeared.

They reappeared Tuesday morning but once again, nothing on her face so Glenn and I took her to gymnastics and did our normal routine. Ryleigh didn't seem any worse for the wear. Tuesday after her nap she had a spot on her face so I called the nurse. Well, it's only one spot so there is no need for alarm. Okay, I thought and went on my merry way of being shut out of seeing a doctor.

Wednesday morning, Ryleigh had no rash so I got her ready and took her to Mom's Day Out. My much needed break from Ryleigh and all things Elmo. I ran a couple of errands (mainly paying off Ryleigh's big girl furniture and getting the lead time... should be here around Valentine's Day!!). I go to pick her up at 1.

She broke out in her rash while at 'school'. Her 2 teachers pointed it out to me and I confessed that I knew but I thought she was fine since she didn't have any when she woke up this morning. I then had to confess she had pink eye over the weekend (but the nurse told me she was ALL CLEAR after 24 hours of taking meds) because I needed one of them to hold her down while I gave her drops. I got a very sour look from one of the teachers but I swear I did nothing wrong. If I thought my child was going to contaminate a room I wouldn't bring her in, trust that!

When I strap Ryleigh in (after I ran out of the hostile environment of 'school') to her car seat I notice the rash... ALL OVER HER FACE!!!! So I feverishly call the doctor's office. They are closed till 1 pm for lunch. It is 1:18 pm - what gives?!?! I am now freaked out and I am driving towards home. I keep calling till they turn off their out to lunch message. I get a hold of the receptionist and explained that I needed Ry to see a doctor that I was told if the rash spread to her face to have her come in (I am tired of dealing with the nurses by now). They are able to see her right away so we swing by the doctors.

Once we arrive the rash disappears from her face (figures). I start looking for other places it maybe and find a small patch on her belly. I now pray that some medical professional will see it before it disappears on me again.

Anyway, she gets in, doc see it, examines her nose, ears (had to get an ear cleaned out while we were there due to wax build up) and throat. Holy cow, her tonsils are covered in white dots and swollen. The doc lets me take a look... yucky!!! They do a strep test and it is negative.

Very long story short... my daughter has a viral infection (with a name I don't remember) that has pink eye, hive like spots and sore throat all associated with it. So now Ryleigh is out of activities for a few days. Although I suspect it's too late and won't make a hill beans difference.


5 comments:

Tam-e said...

MY gosh that is crazy!!! I have never in my 11 years of children heard of anything like that. At first I was guessing that maybe she was having an allergic reaction but with the stuff on her tonsils...wow!

Maribeth said...

I felt so bad for Ry b/c I had no idea she had this sore throat. She was eating like a typical 2 year old (sometimes great/sometimes not). Plus she was acting fairly normal. I think it was pretty convenant that there happens to be a virus with all these symptoms... why didn't the nurses say something? Although in all fairness the doc could have looked it up when he stepped out of the room to wait on her strep test.

Alisa said...

how is she doing? she looks so happy in the picture in her room. You'd never know she's been sick. Poor thing. It's kinda like that with ear infections. My kids have probably had them and I didn't know because they aren't ones to tug on their ears or show symptoms. They are so unpredictable in the eating department that I NEVER know if they might not be feelig well unless there's an obvious symptom like their nose dripping. I think you did the best you could and were persistent. I guess you could always do urgent care but then you probably have a higher copay for there than you do the regular doc's. At least she's on the up and up!

Amanda said...

Oh Faye!! That is soo rotten. I know exactly how you feel- Abe had strep throat and I had NO IDEA!! (HOW HORRIBLE OF ME!!)The dr. made me feel really bad- ABE NEVER complained..only to say his head hurt- At least you figured it out and I am so thankful that you were persistent ..Good job! :)
BTW I am mailing your treat today if (BIG IF)James gets home from work on time! Fingers crossed!

Maribeth said...

Do you know what the tip off to the doctor was (prior to him looking down her throat)? I told him how she snores SUPER LOUD! It's been going on for a couple of months and I just assumed it was a bit of congestion (from being winter)... doc thinks it's from the size of her tonsils. He thinks it may not be as loud once the swelling goes down. Here's hoping the kids tonsils haven't been enlarged for months...
Kids are so unpredictable. Ryleigh was her ornery self today so I took her to the mall and let her run and play. Just call me the spreader of germs. I just can't stay locked up with her all day and then all night by myself. It would drive me to drink and well, I am not allowed to do that right now! I did look at Ryleigh's throat before we went and I saw no white spots!