Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Feeling like my father

When I was growing up the big Christmas Tradition that stands out is the TREE. We would get a live tree. My father would get the tree into the stand in the garage and bring it in to our house. It would take another 1/2 hour or so for him to get it just right (some times with string, I might add). All the while I would learn every curse word imaginable. It was the only time I would hear my father spew such language.
Well I am right there with him. Our tree, the one you see in the post below.... is a pain in my neck. The darn thing tipped over on Sunday (early morning). Likely I got up with Glenn and saw it from our balcony. He was able to get it upright before he left. I was praying everyday that it wouldn't fall back again.... well it fell over today. The only saving grace is it is falling back into the wall and not falling forward into the family room. I know what the problem is but I am not strong enough to fix it myself. Our tree stand was not made to deal with such a large tree....
so once Ry gets up from her nap we're off to Lowe's to buy a new tree stand. Then when Glenn gets home at late tonight we can attempt to re-pot it. Of course it has ornaments on it.
I think the torch of 'foul mouthing the Christmas tree' has officially been passed from father to daughter.

4 comments:

Tam-e said...

Don't cha love it! I remember the days of putting up the real tree and my dad having to attach it to the wall! Hope you get it moved safely without water spillage.

Amanda said...

how about the time I went to get a tree with my parents and it FELL OFF the top of the car onto 16! :0 good times! :)

Jessica said...

I'm really happy that you're keeping this tradition alive. With the advent of the fake, pre-lit, pre-assembled Christmas tree a lot of families have forgotten about this very important part of the holidays.
Now go fix your flinging flanging tree. Oh fudge!

Maribeth said...

UPDATE: I spent way too much money but I got a new stand that is guaranteed for life. The thing can probably hold up a 15 foot tree if I wanted it too. Glenn and I were able to get it in there last night and now the tree looks beautiful and I am at peace again!
Love all the stories about your childhood run ins with your trees. Glad to see the Corby household wasn't the only one with a Tree Tradition!