Thursday, June 14, 2007

Hyperactive 1.5

I had an interesting conversation with my mom today. I was telling my mom how Ryleigh had a fantastic time at the 'Backyard Bash' we went to this morning. It is an annual event that one of the mom's in my MOMS Club holds at her home. All the kids run around in their bathing suits playing in kiddie pools, sprinklers and even a water slide. Ryleigh loved playing with the older kids. I am telling mom how she was running all around from this to that. I told her I thought Ryleigh was a bigger dare devil than the children in her playgroup.
My mom then informs me that she thinks Ryleigh is hyperactive! She said it very matter of fact.
Now I HATE this term. I dislike it for several reasons and most of it stems from my years as a day camp counselor than day camp director during my summers off from college. I dealt with too many kids who were diagnosed hyperactive/ADHD. The term just has negative connotations. I just don't take the word lightly.
Is Ryleigh an active child, yes... would I say she's hyperactive, no. I asked my mom to explain and she went on to say how Ryleigh is a constant motion machine and never sits still. She feels her constant action explain her long naps. I don't disagree with what my mother is saying, I just don't agree with the term she is using because others could infer that Ryleigh has a disorder. I know that term doesn't draw the same idea to my mom as it does to me. I knew that because the moment she said, "Well you were a hyperactive child".
I was an active curious child and so is my 18 month old daughter. I think that is fantastic!

2 comments:

Meredith said...

My Mom would agree with you on this! As a special ed teacher, she came in contact with way too many parents that think their kids are ADHD just 'cause they're active. Brendan is always on the go too, just like Ry. She's an active curious kid...completely normal. And I cannot believe she is 1.5! Where does the time go?

Maribeth said...

Thanks for saying that. I know at first I was peeved with my mom and then I realized she was old school and the term hyperactive doesn't equate to ADHD in her mind. I can't believe she is half way to her 2nd birthday. It's crazy. TIME FLIES!!!