Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Sad to see them go


Today I said goodbye to good friends of mine, the Lundys. They are leaving Ohio tomorrow to head to Kentucky. The moving truck is in front of their home, packing all their belongings and they will spend their last night in the first home they purchased.
For me, it's bittersweet. I am excited for the opportunity they have in Kentucky, but I will miss them. Meredith and I have gone through a lot in the past five years of knowing one another. We got married, bought homes and started our families. Those are huge things that happen in your life and we were there together.
Meredith and I met at work. She and her then boyfriend moved to Ohio. I was engaged and shortly after got married. She and Kevin then became engaged themselves and they started the wedding planning process. It was great to be a witness to all the chaos I had just endured myself. When her time came, I was there to witness them exchange vows. Meredith even wore my veil!
Glenn and I had been in our first home by then and I was pregnant with Ryleigh. They bought their own just one town away and became pregnant themselves. They came to watch Ryleigh when she was a few months old, but being a first time mom, we stuck around and had dinner with them. Kevin hadn't yet been exposed to a baby and there were tons of questions. We helped them as best we could and grew excited for Brendan's arrival. Once they came home, Meredith had her first time mom jitters and called me on Brendan's first night. I went over, calmed her nerves and reminded her she could do it. And she has very well.
Meredith has been here to celebrate birthdays and the homecoming of my second. The past couple of years we've had playdates, sharing stories of mommy woes and the common bond of traveling husbands. I feel blessed that I got to hold her new son today (cute as button and just 4 weeks old). It was my first time and I am sure not the last.
I went through their home today to see all the packed boxes, Brendan's first big boy room and the nursery one last time it became real. I went to say goodbye to Kevin, who gave me an enormous hug and my tears started to surface. I then turned to Meredith to give her my finally Ohio Hug and we were blubbering messes. I walked down the stairs to say goodbye to her mom. And before I left, Brendan came running up to me. I picked him up and he gave me the best hug. I gave him a kiss on the check and reminded him to be good to his mama. At this point, I had to leave because the tears were streaming.
My thoughts are with them today as they pack up to start their new adventure. I know tomorrow I will be excited for them but today I am just sad. Sad to see such a good friend go. I will miss you Meredith and your family. I promise I will see you soon and call you often. You call me when you need me for anything! I promise I will be there in a flash.

4 comments:

Alisa said...

For God sakes I'm teary eyed... awww.. so bittersweet! Did they get a job transfer? Well, they will just have to come back and stay the whole weekend with you .. .it will be fun. That's really neat the friendship you guys developed. Hang in there.. let's try to get together soon.. we'll come over and cause some chaos in your house :))

Maribeth said...

Thanks. Kevin actually got a new job and with Yum Brands (he was with Wendy's). I am actually really excited for them.
Yes you need to come over and cause some chaos. I was looking at pics from Ry's first bday (oh Evan is so getting screwed being the 2nd born) and there are pics of the kids playing. So small and cute... anyway let's plan something. What are their free days? Email me!

Laurie said...

That was such a nice post about your friends......how nice that you met them and at the perfect time in both of your lives! I am sure you will keep in touch as they go through this new adventure. How exciting for all of them!

Meredith said...

Oh, you are killing me with this post!! I made Kevin read it, and even he got teary eyed :( We miss you already!!! But don't worry, we aren't that far and will still make sure to be around to see these kids grow up together. Can you believe how little Brendan and Ry look? Plus Ryan totally looks like a baby Brendan in that picture! Miss you!