Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Confessions

Alright I am beginning to feel like all I am doing is voicing my frustrations towards my daughter's illness. However, I need to know when it is going to end. Yesterday I chatted with the doctor's office who advised me to give her water/Pedialyte in 20 minute increments (an ounce each time) for 2 hours. If after that point she still has a dry diaper take her to Children's Urgent Care.
I strap my little girl down and start forcing the liquids down with a medicine dropper. Wasn't the best way but it was the only way. She refused to drink from a cup, sippy cup or straw. I even pulled out an old bottle! I was desperate. Glenn comes home in the middle of this dance of setting the timer, forcing liquid down her for 5 minutes then letting her sit again watching Elmo for 15 minutes till we start all over again. We had 45 minutes to go and Ryleigh decided to let us know that forcing her to do anything is a terrible idea. She projectile vomited all the liquid.
So that sent the three of us to Children's Hospital Urgent Care. It was about an hour before we saw the Nurse Practitioner. She saw no signs of dehydration and suggest all the same things we've heard - clear liquids, Popsicles, jell-o.
We took her home and tried to push a little more water down her and we put her to bed.
Now the real fun begins... this morning I am about to walk into her room and I smell it. The pungent oder of diarrhea. I opened up her door and it was EVERYWHERE. I pulled her out of the crib and took her to her bathroom to dis rode her in the tub and then spray her down. Then I pulled her out to clean the tub and Glenn gave her bath. I then went to clean the mess in her bed.
The only upside is she did have a wet diaper today (put a napkin in her diaper to help us tell). She is now resting.
I hope this bug leaves her soon. I miss my Ryleigh!

2 comments:

Meredith said...

You poor guys! I really do promise it will end. These stomach bugs just take forever to pass, I know from many experiences like this one. She should be better by Friday!!

Amanda said...

oh Faye! I do hope this send soon! You really need a healthy traveler! Is all of this making her cranky?