Thursday, April 12, 2007

The Great Summit Rant

Oh where do I begin... one day about 2 years ago an old friend of mine contacted me about wanting to have a class reunion. At the time we were 13 years removed from high school. This friend told me he would put everything together and we could do it in a couple of months. I laughed at the idea and told him, "You need time to plan these things. I can help". Those words have haunted me ever since.

I told him I had about 20 email addresses of old classmates and I could email them and see who they kept in touch with, etc, etc. I also explained to my friend that a reunion can't be put together in 2 months (unless you expect no one to come) and who would come to a 13 year reunion. He finally agreed although he wasn't happy with it. I began searching out my old classmates.

Fast forward 6 months. I have found about 40 folks out of a 400+ graduating class. I am pretty pleased since I am just relying on others to give me info. I contact my old friend to let him know my progress and see how he is doing finding folks.

I get silence. Long silence. Oh where or where are you silence. He has gone AWOL. I realize I am left holding the bag. It isn't a very large bag but it is a bag with some expectations. I had a choice to either cut and run or try to be responsible for something I never wanted.

I decide to be an adult and move forward with this project... I figure I can just keep finding people... but time starts passing and I realize that 2007 is creeping up and that 15 years will be standing between me and high school. At this time, another friend steps in and offers to find a location. She gets us settled at the local Country Club and they are quite accommodating (requiring no deposit unless someone expresses an interest). I should rephrase... we have a deposit but it wasn't needed ASAP to secure the date. So I continue on my way finding more folks with a date of May in my head.

Skip to present... I've found over half of my class! Yea! I am pretty proud of myself. I have become quite the little spy relying on county public records to find a large chunk of folks. I have sent out a mailer and emails with all the ticket information. It has been out there for over 3 weeks and there is only 3 weeks left to get your tickets. I have received 6 RSVPs!
These past few months have been stressful and I kept telling myself the more folks I find the better off I am... well I've found a whole heck of a lot but no one wants to go.

WTF!!!! I never hated high school when I was there but I certainly hate it now.

2 comments:

Meredith said...

Welcome back to the blogosphere! Can't wait for the updates. I knew your responses were low, but had no idea there were only 6! Anyone local should really go - especially since this is your first one!

Since both Kevin & I missed our 10 year reunion we'd be happy to attend and "pretend" we went to Newark High :)

Maribeth said...

Okay you're killing me with coming to my reunion. I don't even want to go. Do you think you could pose as Glenn & I??? I will even give you snapshots of Ryleigh for your wallets to show people.