Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Thank you to my vet

Today we recognize those who have served our country. For me, I am blessed to be able to thank my husband who served during the Iraq War. Prior to the war officially being announced my husband began doing trips into Iraq on the C-141. He was a flight engineer and his unit was responsible (initially) for taking cargo into the war zone. We were just dating at the time but within weeks of his first trip for his reserve unit he was activated. I was quite frightened at the time on what it would mean... would he be gone for a year... would I ever see him...would our relationship survive. We made plans for him to move his personal items to my apartment (essentially moving in with me). We got his finances in order so we could pay all of his bills during his activation. We crossed the t's and dotted the i's.

Once he settled all his items we made a BIG decision to move forward in our relationship and began ring shopping! We knew where we wanted 'us' to go and we were going to move forward. His official active duty began in February 2003. His unit was responsible for leaving from Wright-Patt to Germany. From there they would fly down to Iraq during the night (drop off cargo) and pick-up wounded soldiers to take back to Germany. Then take soldiers from Germany back to the states (wounded). His unit was a flying hospital. I was so proud of the work he was doing and grateful that he was contributing in a positive way to help the men and women on the front line.

His activation was renewed after 1 year and he continued to serve another. During that time he would be home for a couple of weeks then gone for 1 to 2. He was home quite a bit (more than I initially thought) and through that time our relationship flourished. We became engaged in September 2003, bought our first house and got married July 2004, made plans to start our family.
My most fond memory is the night he called me from the plane over Turkey to tell me he was safe! It was his last trip into Iraq. I called his mom and told her the news and she was thrilled to know it was over (at least for Glenn).

Glenn: Thank you for everything you did during your time served as well as your entire military career. I couldn't be more proud!
My husband retired in 2006.
Pictures from Glenn's retirement ceremony:


2 comments:

Meredith said...

Thanks Glenn! I remember spending many nights with your wife at the movies while you were flying overseas. Great job!

Alisa said...

awesome tribute Maribeth! Glenn has alot to proud of and we all have alot to be thankful for!